Thursday 17 July 2008

T-minus 12 days and counting

thursday 17th July 2008

It's been WAY too long since our last "big" holiday, as documented in another blog on this site. There was Porto the same year which was also briefly documented in a blog. Sine then we have been to Morocco, Italy and Dublin and I've not actually given the world wide web the benefit of my skewed appreciation of other cultures in all that time. Mainly because I very often busy imbiding Guinness. Well that was the case on Dublin one anyway. And Chianti in Italy. It's funny how so much of my holidays seem to be defined by the indiginous booze of the location. Port in Porto, Tiger beer in Singapore, Singha beer in Thailand, Rioja in Spain etc etc. Well, apart from Morocco, where getting a beer was like pulling teeth. We did find a couple of places in the whole city, and the beer was like gnat's piss, as the phrase goes. How anyone knows what gnat's piss tastes like to obtain the comparison, or why gnat's piss and not some other insect I do not know. In fact, I'm not even sure gnats actually can piss. Then again why would I be? I'm not an entomologist.


This trip has been brewing now for a good 6 months or so, ever since we got a date for my cousin Alex's wedding to Frances, a Philipina, in Manila on the 16th August. We booked the flights in February, and we've been busy researching and booking stuff since. It seems like half the fun to do the planning, with that slight worry something could go wrong. We always end up having a good time though. Well we have done up to now, not that I want to be tempting fate.


I did attempt to write a blog way back then which was also documenting my recovery from a broken foot, getting back to being fit and progress towards the holiday. I was enthusiastic to begin with, but ran out of things to mention. Then I left it so long I forgot the url, which wouldn't have been bad, but I'd set up a totally new gmail account so I could start from scratch, which I also forgot. So here we are, back on http://iainandjane-seasia08.blogspot.com/ instead. Needless to say I did get back to fitness after a break (no pun intended) of six weeks, but have had a couple of weeks where circumstances have got in the way of my fitness programme. Never mind. I'm not grossly obese which is something I figure.

Anyway, here's the updated blog. This is the introduction I suppose. I'll hopefully write lots more. You'll be fed up of this crap by the time I'm halfway through the holiday

No comments: